Carrot halwa/Gajar Ka Halwa – delicious dessert for toddlers, kids and for the whole family. Carrot halwa is a famous indian dessert and am sure everyone have their own version of making carrot halwa. Who can say no to this goodness!! It’s one of the must dessert for your kids birthday party if you are preparing everything at home. I prefer adding brown sugar/palm sugar in place of white sugar to make it less sinful. This carrot halwa can be given to babies after one year as a dessert.
Now Let’s check how to make this carrot recipe for toddlers and kids.
Carrot Halwa Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Carrots - 3 medium sized or grated carrots - 2 cups
- Milk - 1 cup
- Palm Sugar/ Brown Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Homemade Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - 1/8 tsp
- Cashews - 10
- Raisins - 1 tbsp
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Wash and peel carrots. Then grate them using a grater and keep it ready.
- Heat a pressure cooker or thick bottomed pan with a tbsp of ghee and add cashews and raisins, fry them until golden brown. Remove from the cooker or pan once done.
- Now add grated carrots and saute them nicely until raw smell of carrots leave. Then add required amount of milk to it and cook it in low medium for 10-12 minutes.
- Give a stir occasionally. Milk will boil and bubble up nicely. Cook it until the carrots are completely cooked and the milk is absorbed.
- Once the milk is absorbed almost, add brown sugar and cardamom. Mix well. After adding sugar, the mixture will liquefied and gets thicken up with time. Cook it further until all the milk is absorbed. Keep stirring in between and add the remaining ghee little by little.
- When the halwa forms a whole mass and doesn't stick to the pan, add ghee fried cashews & raisins and switch off the flame.
5. Once the milk is absorbed almost, add brown sugar and cardamom. Mix well. After adding sugar, the mixture will liquefied and gets thicken up with time. Cook it further until all the milk is absorbed. Keep stirring in between and add the remaining ghee little by little.
Hope you liked this recipe.
- You could also pressure cook the carrots after adding milk for a whistle and continue with the further steps. Pressure cooking saves time. But cooking in open , gives nice taste.
- You can also use jaggery to make carrot halwa, but sometimes adding jaggery to hot milk , make it curdle which might upset the tummy.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Don’t prefer whole nuts for small babies, instead add powdered nuts.