Kootu is a healthy option compared to stir-fry and best pair with any tangy gravy. This bottle gourd Kootu is simple to make and tastes good. I make this at least once in two weeks. Bottle gourd/Sorakkai is high in vitamins and best for lactation mothers. This kootu is apt for summer and this kootu can be tried with snake gourd or chow chow/chayote too. Let's see the recipe.
Bottle gourd Kootu recipe | Sorakkai Kootu | Kootu Recipes
- Bottle gourd - 2 cups chopped
- Moong dal - 4 tbsp
- Salt - as required
- Coconut grated - 1/4 cup
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Small onions - 2
- Raw rice - 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies - 2
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Peel the skin off from the bottle gourd and cut into two vertical pieces. Then chop them to small cubes. Keep aside.
- Grind coconut, green chillies, small onions,cumin seeds and raw rice with little water to a fine paste and keep it ready.
- Take chopped bottle gourd pieces and moong dal in a small pressure cooker and add a cup of water to it. Pressure cook it for two whistles and open the cooker once the pressure released.
- Now add the coconut paste to the pressure cooker and mix it slowly. Start boiling the kootu in low medium flame for 5 minutes or until the kootu consistency is reached. Switch off the flame once done. Don't boil the kootu for more time after coconut paste is added.
- Heat a tadka pan and add the items to temper. Let the mustard seeds crackle and urad dal turns brown, then add curry leaves and fry for a minute. Add the tempered items to the kootu and mix it well.