Black eyed peas sweet sundal/karamani sundal – soaked and cooked black eyed peas sweetened & flavored with cardamon, coconut. Black eyed peas/ cow pea/ black eyed beans/lobia/karamani is one of the healthy legume packed with iron, fiber, zinc, magnesium and many more nutrients.Cow pea is widely used in the preparation of Indian curries, soups and salads.
This black eyed peas sundal is a best suitable recipe for toddlers and kids to make them eat this healthy legume. It can be given to kids form one year, makes a healthy and tasty snack recipe for kids. Check the similar sweet sundal recipe with green gram.
Now lets get on to check how to make black eyed peas sweet sundal.
- Black Eyed Peas/Green Gram - ½ cup
- Powdered Jaggery - ¼ cup
- Cardamom Powder - ⅛ tsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Coconut grated - 2 tbsp
- Water - as required
- Ghee - ½ tsp
- Measure black eyed peas. Dry roast them in low flame until nutty aroma comes. Then wash and Soak the black eyed peas in water overnight or at least 7 hours. .
- After soaking, pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles in medium flame. Make sure the black eyed peas don't become mushy. Open the cooker once pressure released by itself. Set aside.
- Take jaggery powder in a pan with water till it immersed level. Heat it until it dissolves completely. (If using jaggery with impurities, Strain the jaggery water using a strainer to remove the impurities present in jaggery)
- Then start reheating the jaggery water in a pan with medium flame. Once its slightly thick, add the pressure cooked black eyed peas along with a pinch of salt & cardamom powder. Mix slowly.
- Add in grated coconut followed by ghee.
- Mix it till becomes dry and all jaggery is absorbed. Switch off the flame once done.
- Adjust jaggery quantity as per your taste buds. Its mildly sweet with the above measurements.
- Mix well until jaggery is completely absorbed otherwise the sundal will be moist.
- No need to check jaggery consistency but make sure the jaggery is slightly thick before you add black eyed peas.
- The Sundal should be soft but not too mushy.
- You could add coconut pieces to this black eyed peas sundal instead of grated coconut.