Beans is a healthy vegetable, rich source of dietary fiber and has healthy amount of calcium and iron. I love simple stir fry’s as those are quick to make, delicious and nutritious too. I usually make beans poriyal with coconut. This beans podimas has fried gram dal/pottu kadalai in place of coconut. It comes to my rescue when I have no coconut at hand. It is very simple to make and tastes good.
Beans Podimas Recipe | Beans poriyal without coconut | Stir-fry Recipes
- Beans - 2 cups chopped or 200 gms
- Onion - 1 medium sized
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Roasted gram dal or pottu kadalai - 2 tbsp
- To Temper
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp optional
- Curry leaves - few
- Take 2 tbsp of fried gram dal and add it to the blender. Grind it to a fine powder and keep aside.
- Wash the beans in running water twice. Remove the outer string from beans cut them into bite size pieces. Set aside. Chop the onions finely and keep it ready.
- Heat a pan with oil and add the items to temper. Once mustard cracks and fennel seeds turn slight brown, add curry leaves & fry for a minute. Add onions now and saute them until they become transparent. Then add the chopped beans along with red chilli powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of water or till immersing level and cook covered for 10 minutes or until done. Once it got cooked, it will be soft and the colour of the beans will be changed.
- Now add the ground pottu kadalai powder and give a quick stir. Mix it well and fry for 2 minutes. Once done, switch off the flame.
- Adding fennel seeds is optional but I usually add it to avoid the gastric effect of beans.
- Make sure to remove the outer string from the beans otherwise it may come in mouth while eating.