Bajra Badam Drink – homemde health drink for toddlers and kids prepared with pearl millet flour aka bajra flour, almonds/badam and milk. Bajra is a healthy grain and it should be part of healthy diet for growing toddlers/kids. I always make sure to include bajra in our little ones weekly menu in the form of porridge, dosa or this healthy drink! I got this bajra health drink idea from a monthly cooking magazine. This Bajra Badam drink is ideal for babies after one year,also it’s highly recommended for toddlers and kids as it helps in brain development. It’s not only healthy but also tasty as well!
Now Let’s check how to make this bajra Badam drink recipe for toddlers and kids.
- Pearl millet flour/ Bajra Flour/ Kambu Maavu - 2 tbsp
- Powdered Jaggery/ Palm Sugar/ Brown Sugar - 1 to 2 tbsp
- Water - ½ cup
- Boiled milk - 1 cup
- Cardamom powder - ⅛ tsp
- Almond powder - 1.5 tbsp
- Keep all the ingredients ready. If using jaggery, take jaggery in a sauce pan and add water till its immersed level. Heat jaggery until it melts completely. Set aside.
- Then Take 2 tbsp of bajra flour and add ½ cup of water to it. Mix well with a hand whisk so that no lumps are formed.
- Cook the bajra flour in medium flame for 5 minutes or until it gets cooked completely & becomes shiny. Stir it continuously while cooking otherwise it may stick to the vessel. Once the bajra flour is completely cooked, add 1 cup of milk to the cooked bajra. Mix well.
- Boil the milk for 5 more minutes or until rolling boil. Finally add cooled jaggery syrup and almond powder. Mix everything together. Remove from flame once done and cool it down. This bajra badam drink becomes thick after cooling down. So switch off the flame accordingly,
- The consistency of this drink should be pouring and it tastes best when served hot/warm.
- Introduce this bajra badam drink to your baby after introducing bajra and badam/almonds separate.
- I have used homemade almond powder for this recipe, you can also grind a handful of almonds in a mixer and use it.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- This bajra badam drink becomes thick when cooled down. So switch off the flame accordingly.