I have used Philips avent combined steamer and blender in most of the baby food recipes posted so far in my blog. Hence many readers asked about this kitchen appliance and how for its useful. I would like to share my experience with this product and here is my attempt to review the Philips avent combined steamer and blender.
When I was planning to start solids for my baby at 6 months, i was damn sure that I am going to make my own baby food. But time became a major factor as i had to take care of my baby all alone after my hubby goes to office. So I searched for all baby food makers which makes my job easy. Finally i got this Philips avent combined steamer and blender after lot of research as it promised healthy wholesome baby meal quick and easy.
The Philips combined steamer and blender gently steam fruits, vegetables, fish and meat. It also blends the steamed food to your desired consistency. you can also use this appliance to make juices & milkshakes.
Steaming is one of the best method as it helps to preserve flavors & nutrients. Steaming with Philips avent combined steamer and blender helps to retain essential nutrients a way better than usual conventional steamers because the juices that are released from the food during the steaming phase are retained (which are evaporated in usual steamers) for mixing back into the food during the blending phase.
Here i have given detail steps with pictures for the making of carrot puree with this product.
Carrot makes a great first food for babies as it’s less likely to cause allergies. Carrots are rich in beta carotene, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and they are very easy to digest. The skin of the carrots should be peeled as babies won’t be able to digest the skins. After 8 months, u can offer peeled cooked cut carrots as finger food to your baby.
- Carrot - 1 medium sized
- Water - as needed
- Sterilise the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Wash carrots in running water well. Peel the skin off from the carrot with a peeler. Then chop them into equal size small cubes.
- Open the lid of the philps avent jar by push the extended side and twist it. Place the chopped carrot pieces in the jar and close it.
- Fill the measuring cup with 150 ml of water and pour the water through the small opening at the side of the motor unit. Close the lid once done. Now place the jar over the motor unit and turn on the left side button for steaming. Make sure red light is on.
- Once the carrots are steamed, the light will go off with a beep sound. Flip the jar over and turn the same button to right and blend it for 10 seconds without releasing your hand. Repeat and blend it until the desired consistency is reached. Add boiled water if needed while blending. It's done!! Pour to the serving bowl!
- It’s easy to use, quick and convenient.
- It’s easy to clean and the food tastes fresh and yummy.
- You don’t need to transfer the food from steamer to blender. Just a flip will do.
- It retains more nutrients during steaming compared to other conventional steamers.
- Nothing I could think of.
- When selecting carrot, choose sweet tasting carrots.
- Choose carrots that are firm, smooth and rich orange colored.
- If your baby doesn’t like plain carrot puree combine it with beetroot or potato after introducing each veggies separate.
- Generally carrots doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Steaming time varies based on the vegetables, fruits and meat to be cooked.
- You can also make the carrot puree using other steamers. Steam it with Idli steamer plate by adding a cup of water or pressure cook it with a cup of water for 2 whistles. For both steaming and blending i used Philips Avent Combined Steamer and Blender