Rajgira porridge/Amaranth Porridge/Ramdana Porridge – nutrient rich porridge recipe made with amaranth seeds and milk. Amaranth seeds are known as Rajgira/Ramdana in India, meaning the royal seed. Its mainly consumed during fasting in India as its easy to digest and keeps the tummy full for a long time. Amaranth seeds are rich in nutrients and hence very important to include this healthy seeds in your child’s diet! Read more on health benefits of Amaranth seeds and how and when to introduce this healthy seeds to your baby.
Health Benefits of Amaranth Seeds:
- Contains more proteins and fiber , also high in iron and calcium,hence it provides all important nutrients needed for child’s growth and development.
- Good source of Vitamin A,B and C.
- Completely gluten free and hence suitable for kids with gluten allergies.
- Easily digestible, hence its ideal for small kids, pregnant ladies and sick people who are recovering from illness.
Types of Amaranth Seeds:
- Un-Popped Amaranth seeds: Looks slightly yellow in color, needs at least 10 minutes of cooking or should be popped before use.
- Popped Amaranth Seeds: Ready to use, no cooking is required, looks soft and light.
How to pop Amaranth seeds at home?
Firstly, Keep these seeds under sun to get rid of any moisture. Then heat a heavy bottom pan and add one tbsp seeds at a time. Cover the seed with soft muslin cloth, press them gently to pop. Repeat the process for the remaining seeds.
When and how to introduce Amaranth seeds/ Rajgira to babies?
Amaranth seeds can be given to babies from 6 months as its gluten free and easily digestible. Amaranth porridge is a best way to introduce amaranth in baby’s diet. When you introduce this porridge to your baby, you can blend the porridge in a mixer or blender.
Here is how to make amaranth/rajgira porridge recipe for babies and toddlers.
- Popped Amarnath Seeds/Rajgira - ¼ cup
- Breastmilk/ Formula Milk/ Cows Milk - ¼ cup
- Brown Sugar/Dates syrup/ Jaggery Syrup- 1 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 tsp (optional)
- Mixed Nuts/Nuts powder - 1 tbsp
- Wash the amaranth seeds and keep it ready. For babies below one year prepare formula milk and keep it warm. If using cows' milk, boil it until frothy. Then add the washed amaranth seeds to the boiled milk/prepared warm formula milk.
- Mix well and cover the pot with a lid for 10 minutes. Keep it undisturbed. Open the lid, mix well once again.
- Add sweetener and ghee at this stage and mix well until the sweetener dissolves. Then add in handful of nuts or nuts powder at this stage. Serve the porridge warm! For small babies use only nuts powder and avoid whole nuts.
- If you prepare this porridge for a sick child, avoid ghee and nuts.
- Make sure to use well popped amaranth seeds for this porridge. The porridge should be creamy and not too crunchy.
- Your can Cook the porridge for few minutes if using cow’s milk.
- You can add fruits to this porridge along with nuts.
- Avoid cow’s milk for babies below one year and use formula milk instead.
- Offer this porridge plain to your baby when you start. Try to avoid jaggery/ palm sugar/ palm jaggery or any kind of sweetener at least till one year, Add very little amount than mentioned or prefer sweet tasting fruits/vegetables like apple, banana, carrot etc or dry fruits like dates or raisins.