Sooji Porridge – instant porridge recipe made with homemade Sooji cereal. As mentioned in my previous post, here is the detailed steps to make instant porridge using sooji cereal. You can make this instant porridge with hot water alone during travels. For regular days you can prefer cooking this for sometime in stove top. This sooji porridge recipe can be given to babies from 6 months. This porridge tastes bland hence add jaggery syrup, dates syrup, or fruit purees like apple or pear to enhance the taste. For babies above one year, you can make this sooji with cow’s milk (instead of water) and sugar/jaggery syrup! Tastes so good!
Here is how to make instant sooji porridge recipe for babies.
- Homemade Sooji Cereal - 2 tbsp
- Hot Water - 1 cup
- Ghee -1/2 tsp
- Breast milk/Formula Milk/Cows milk - ½ cup
- Dates syrup/any sweetener/fruit puree - 1-2 tbsp (optional)
- Take required hot boiled water in a bowl or sauce pan. Add sooji little by little to the hot water.
- Stir in continuously well with a spoon or whisk. Make sure there are no lumps remained. Now close this with a lid and keep it undisturbed. You can also Cook it further for 3-5 minutes in low medium flame. Then Add sweetener at this stage. Give a quick stir.
- Add ghee and milk. Mix well and serve. If adding cows milk make sure to add boiled milk. Cook it further for few minutes if desired and switch off the flame.
- Prefer no cooking method only during travels or emergencies, for regular days make sure to cook the porridge and feed your baby.
- Add sooji to hot water little by little, don’t add all at once. Keep stirring until porridge consistency is reached.
- Adjust water or milk accordingly to reach the desired consistency.
- You could make this porridge with only water or milk or the combination of milk and water. Its purely your preference.
- Skip sweetener for babies below one year. Use fruit puree, mashed sweet potatoes, dates syrup or raisins paste (soak raisins overnight and make a paste with little water using a blender and add it)
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.