Rice Milk Porridge (with garlic)/ Paal Kanji – healthy porridge recipe made with rice, milk/Cocount milk and garlic. This porridge is ideal for growing kids and new moms to increase breast milk production(as garlic helps with location). It can also given during sickness especially to cure the digestive issues due to gas as garlic enhances digestion.
My mom would prepare this at least once in two weeks for its healthy goodness! This rice milk porridge can be given to babies after one year and it tastes great plain. But my mom used to add powdered jaggery at the end for sweet version and serve with fried gram dal chutney/pottukadalai chutney for savory version. Do include this healthy porridge recipe in your little ones diet and make them healthy! Here is how to make healthy rice milk porridge recipe for toddlers and toddlers.
- Rice - ¼ cup
- Garlic - 4 big cloves
- Coconut milk/ Cows Milk - ½ cup
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - ⅛ tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Measure and keep all ingredients ready. In a pressure cooker take washed rice, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, finely chopped garlic and required salt. Add 1.5 cups of water and pressure cook everything for 6-8 whistles in medium low flame.
- Open the pressure cooker once pressure released. Mash the rice well with a spoon and then add milk. Boil everything in low medium flame for 5 minutes. If using Coconut milk, let it boil it only for 2 minutes.
- Once the milk boiled well and porridge like consistency is reached, switch off the flame and cool it down.
- You can use any type of rice to make this porridge.
- If the porridge becomes too thick, add boiled water/cows milk/coconut milk to adjust the consistency while feeding.
- If using Coconut milk don’t let it boil it for more time as it may get curdled.
- You can serve this porridge plain or with jaggery or any chutney , even sambar.
- Always check with your baby’s doctor before giving any new food to your baby.