Red rice puttu aka red rice steamed cakes is a Kerala traditional healthy breakfast. It can be made with white rice,red rice, ragi, wheat, foxtail millet etc. Here in this post i have given detailed information about the ways of making puttu, best possible side dishes for puttu, when & how to feed puttu to babies.
Using idli pot:
Using pressure cooker
Sidedish options for Puttu/Steamed Rice Cakes:
- Puttu & banana (small sweet tasting banana)
- Puttu, scrapped coconut & sugar
- Puttu with jaggery (check this millet puttu recipe with jaggery)
- Puttu with black channa curry (kadala kari) or egg curry
- Puttu with payaru ( green gram sundal)
Steamed Rice Cake for Babies & Kids | Red Rice Puttu Recipe for Kids
- Red rice - ¼ cup
- Salt - a pinch
- Coconut grated - ¼ cup
- Water - as required
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Soak red rice for 2 hours. Wash the red rice well in water and dry it under sun for 30 minutes. Then heat a pan and dry roast the red rice for 5 minutes in low flame or until hot to touch. Don't burn it while roasting. Let it cool down and then grind it in a mixer to a liitle coarse powder. Set aside.
- Take the ground red rice flour in a wide plate and sprinkle little warm water on it and wet the entire flour. Keep mixing with water until you could able to make a fist when hold together and should crumble and fall when left. This is the correct consistency for puttu.
- Layer the cylindrical tube first with little grated cocount , then add fistful of red rice flour, then again add grated coconut. Repeat the process until the flour is finished. You can fill it until it reaches the end of cylindrical tube. Now fill the puttu pot with water and attach the cylindrical tube with lid. Steam cook for 8-10 minutes. U will get a nice aroma when its done, switch off the flame.
- Remove the cylindrical tube from the pot , open it and gently push it with a laddle. Puttu is ready.
- You can use opt any of the above mentioned method to prepare puttu as per your choice and convenience.
- You can also use store bought puttu podi( red rice puttu flour) for making this puttu.
- Generally rice doesn't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.