Sooji upma – easy sooji upma or rava upma recipe for babies which makes a great filling food for babies. I have already share a version of sooji khichdi/upma with vegetables, this version is very quick and easy to make also pouring in consistency which makes it ideal for babies. This sooji upma recipe can be given to babies from 7 months. It tastes bland if ghee is not added, so make sure to add mentioned amount of ghee. Check more sooji recipes for babies and kids here.
Here is how to make sooji upma recipe for babies.
- Fine Sooji/Rava - 2 tbsp
- Hot Water - 1 cup
- Turmeric Powder - ⅛ tsp
- Ghee -2 tsp
- Asafoetida /Hing - a pinch
- salt -as required
- Mustard seeds -1/8 tsp
- Cumin seeds -1/8 tsp
- Heat ghee in a sauce pan, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let it crackle.
- Now add hot water to it, Let it come to a rolling boil.
- Now Add sooji little by little to the hot water.Stir in continuously well with a spoon or whisk. Make sure there are no lumps remained. Add turmeric powder, hing and salt at this stage. Then close this with a lid and cook it further for 3-5 minutes in low medium flame. Switch off the flame once done.
- If your baby prefers more pouring consistency, add 1.5 cups of water.
- Fine sooji is preferable for babies, if you don’t get fine variety , grind the sooji in mixer to a coarse powder and use.
- You can even skip tempering when you introduce but don’t skip ghee as it gives a added taste to the upma.
- Add sooji to hot water little by little, don’t add all at once. Keep stirring until there are no lumps.
- Skip salt for babies below one year.
- You can add 2 tbsp of any vegetable puree once the upma is cooked.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.