Sathu Maavu Banana muffins – simple, wholesome, and healthy muffins recipe made with Sathu maavu, aka health mix powder, bananas, and walnuts! Recently I tried cookies with sathu maavu, and it turned out good, and I thought to try muffins with it. I have made a few changes to my whole wheat banana muffins recipe and came up with these muffins.
This sathu maavu banana muffins can be given to toddlers after one year. I’m sure even kids who hesitate to eat sathu maavu will like these muffins. Do try this and let me know your feedback 🙂
- Sathu maavu/Health Mix Powder - ½ Cup
- Whole Wheat flour - ½ cup
- Ripe Banana - 1 big sized
- Baking Soda - ½ tsp
- Baking Powder - ½ tsp
- Salt - ⅛ Tsp
- Broken walnut - 2 tbsp
- Brown Sugar - ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Olive oil/sunflower oil - ¼ cup
- Measure and sieve the sathu maavu flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Also, preheat the oven to 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Take a ripe banana, add in sugar and mash it well with a fork. Alternatively, you can blend the chopped banana pieces in a blender to puree them.
- Once the bananas are well mashed, add oil and vanilla essence.
- Stir it well with a hand whisk until the oil is mixed evenly. Now add the sieved whole wheat flour and sathu maavu flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
- Gently fold everything well for 10-15 seconds. Don't over mix. The final mixture should be thick. Add in broken walnuts at this stage. Give a quick stir.
- Line up the muffin tray with muffin liners. Pour the prepared batter into muffin liners and top it with broken walnuts. Bake in the preheated oven for 20- 25 minutes (baking time depends on the size of the muffin tray and oven) at 180° Celsius till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cooling in the tray for 5 minutes once done.
Here is the video of how to make sathu maavu banana muffins recipe for toddlers and kids
3. Once the bananas are well mashed, add oil and vanilla essence.
4. Stir it well with a hand whisk until the oil is mixed evenly. Now add the sieved whole wheat flour and sathu maavu flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
- The final batter consistency should be thick.
- Use overripe banana for the best results.
- For younger kids, finely chop the walnuts or powder them to avoid choking.
- Don’t over mix after adding the dry ingredients, fold them for 10-15 seconds.
- This sathu maavu banana muffins stay well for four days at room temperature and keeps good for a week if stored in the refrigerator.
- You could use walnuts or any nuts of your choice or even chocolate chips.
- Mixing and measurements are most important for the perfect muffins.
- The same recipe can be tried in a cake pan, too, but the baking time may vary from 30-40 minutes.