Ragi Rava Idli – a quick, no grind, no fermentation idlis are made with ragi aka finger millet and sooji/rava (cream of wheat). I have already posted rava idli recipe a while ago, last week I have tried adding ragi flour while making rava idlis. It turned out so good and everyone at home loved it:) This ragi rava idli can be a quick and breakfast option for babies and kids, it can be given to babies from 8 months (Check notes section for more details before giving these to babies) .
- Ragi/Finger Millet - ½ cup
- Sooji/Rava - ½ cup
- Carrot - 1 small sized (grated)
- Curd/Yogurt - ½ cup
- Cashews - 1.5 tbsp
- Ginger - 1 small piece
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Salt - as needed
- Fruit Salt/ Cooking Soda/ Baking soda - ¼ tsp
- Water - as required
- oil/ Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Urad dal - ½ tsp
- Chana dal - ¾ tsp
- Hing/ Asafoetida - a pinch
- Measure ragi flour and sooji/rava. Grate carrots, chop coriander leaves and ginger. Keep all other ingredients ready.
- Heat ghee or in a pan , add the items to temper, once mustard seeds cracks, urad dal and chana dal turns brown, add hing. Then add cashews and saute until golden brown. Then, add ragi flour and sooji/rava together.
- Roast sooji and ragi flour until nice aroma comes. It may take 3-5 minutes. Switch off the flame and cool it down. Now in a vessel add roasted ragi flour, sooji/ rava, curd, tempered items, chopped ginger, coriander leaves, cashews, and required salt.
- Mix everything well. Adjust water to reach the idli batter consistency that is neither too thick nor thin and finally add fruit salt/cooking soda/baking soda. Now start making idlis, pour the batter in each idli mold.
- Steam it with a cup of water for 10 to 12 minutes in medium flame. Check with a spoon, if it's coming clean, the Idlis are ready! Switch off the flame and remove from molds.
- The same recipe can be tried with wheat rava instead of sooji.
- For small babies skip whole cashews. Instead use powdered nuts.
- For small babies, you can skip fruit salt/baking soda. Give at least 4-6 hours fermentation time once the batter is ready. That may give soft idlies without using cooking soda.
- You could also skip tempering items for small babies.
- Make sure to introduce each ingredients separate to your baby, before you try this ragi rava idli recipe.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.