Pumpkins are loaded with vitamin A and beta-carotene, also high in protein & iron! This pumpkin puree is good to start with when you introduce pumpkin to baby for the first time. Babies will love it for sweetness.
When to introduce Pumpkin for babies:
You can give pumpkins to babies from 6 months as it makes a great first food for babies. When you begin pumpkin to your baby, start with pumpkin puree. After seven months, mash the pumpkin or cut into tiny pieces & offer in a small amount. You can also add apples, pears, bananas or even sweet potato to make it wholesome.
How to select Pumpkin:
Select sweet tasting small pumpkin for baby food. It should be more firm and tender. You can steam or bake the pumpkins as per your convenience.
Pumpkin Baby Food Recipes:
Now Let’s gets on to check how to make pumpkin puree recipe for babies.
Here is the video of how to make pumpkin puree for baby
Pumpkin Puree for Babies | Baby food
- Pumpkin - 1/2 cup chopped
- Water - as needed
- Sterilise the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Wash pumpkin in running water well. Then peel the skin off from the pumpkin with a peeler and remove the seeds. Then chop them into equal size small cubes. Steam the cubed pumpkin pieces in a steamer for 15 minutes. Once the pumpkins are steamed, it will be soft and transparent. Now blend it with little water to a smooth paste in a blender. You can steam it with Idli steamer plate by adding a cup of water or pressure cook it with a cup of water for two whistles. For both steaming and blending, I use
- Philips Avent Combined Steamer and Blender
- Generally, pumpkin doesn’t cause any allergies. But check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if any allergy.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Steaming is a healthy option for baby food than pressure cooking. So I prefer steaming using an Idli pot or steamer.
- Steam one chopped Apple or pears along with pumpkin for variation.