Pepper Gravy / Milagu Kuzhambu – a healthy, flavorful and tasty gravy made with pepper and other spices, which is apt for rainy and winter season. Pepper is used as a cold remedy for centuries as it helps to relive the cold symptoms by killing the pathogens! This pepper gravy is my moms special recipe for cold & cough and it works like a charm. This pepper gravy can be given to toddlers after two years or once your child’s tummy is well tolerated with spices. Mix 2 tsp of this pepper gravy with rice and sesame oil when you introduce for the first time. Slowly increase the quantity.
Pepper Gravy Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Tamarind - lemon sized ball
- Small onions - 10
- Garlic cloves - 6 to 8
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt - as required
To roast and grind
- Sesame Oil - 1 tsp
- Black Pepper Corns - 2 tsp
- Coriander Seeds - 2 tsp
- Red chillies - 2
- Toor Dal - 1 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1tsp
- Sesame Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Hing/ Astofedia - a pinch
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- In a thick bottomed kadai, heat oil and add the items to roast and grind. Roast everything in low medium flame until nice aroma comes and the mixture turns golden brown. Cool it down.
- Grind the roasted items in a blender to a smooth paste with little water. Set aside.
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Chop small onions and garlic. Soak lemon sized tamarind in warm water for 10 minutes and dissolve the tamarind into water. Discard the thick pulp. Keep the tamarind water ready. Heat a kadai with oil. Add all the items listed to temper along with oil. Let mustard seeds cracks.
- Then add onions. Let the onions turns transparent. Then add tamarind water, ground masala paste, required salt and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water and start boiling the gravy in low medium flame. Allow the gravy to boil until it becomes slightly thick and till oil has separated from the edges of the pan. It may take at least 15 minutes. Switch off the flame once done.
- It stays good for a week if refrigerated and handled properly.
- It’s medium spicy with the ingredients mentioned above. Adjust spiciness according to your preference by reducing the amount of pepper.
- Roast all the ingredients in low flame in order to prevent burning.
- Allow the gravy to boil well to get tasty gravy. Adjust water accordingly.
- This pepper gravy goes well with plain steamed rice, Idli and Dosa.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.