I am here with another thogayal recipe. Coriander thogayal/kothamalli thuvaiyal is my favorite. It is a quick, flavorful and tasty thogayal which goes well with rice.The combination of corainder thuvaiyal and curd rice is like match made in heaven! I remember during my school days Amma used to pack this combo for lunch and the lunch box is back empty for sure. I like to have this thuvaiyal with hot steamed rice and generous amount of seasame oil as well. Check my paruppu thogayal recipe which I posted a while back.
Now Let's check how to make this simple coriander thogayal recipe.
Coriander Thogayal Recipe | Kothamalli Thuvaiyal | Thuvaiyal Recipes
- Coriander leaves - 1 cup tightly packed
- Tamarind - 1/2 tsp
- Red Chillies - 5
- Urad dal - 1 tbsp
- Grated Coconut - 1 tbsp optional
- Hing - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - as required
- Seasame Oil - 1 tsp
- Take all your ingredients and keep it ready. Remove the root part and collect the coriander leaves from the bunch. You can add stalks too. Wash the leaves in running water and set aside.Heat a tsp of oil in a pan and add red chillies and urad dal. Fry it in medium flame until the urad dal turned golden brown.
- Once the urad dal turns golden brown, add corainder leaves. Fry them in medium flame until the corainder leaves shrink in volume. Switch off the flame once done.
- Transfer the roasted ingredients to a mixer along with grated coconut, tamarind,salt and hing. Grind it to a coarse paste by adding little water. Thuvaiyal has to be thick so add water accordingly.
Serve the coriander thogayal with hot steamed rice and generous amount of sesame oil.
- Keep the flame in low to medium while frying the ingredients.
- You can skip coconut and make this thuvaiyal. There will not be much different in taste.