Cumin seeds/Jeera is a popular Indian spice used in every day cooking and medicinal purposes to heal digestive disorders, constipation, etc. in babies, toddlers, kids, and even adults. Some babies don’t prefer the whole cumin seeds as it comes in the mouth while eating, and this cumin powder is the best to opt for them!
I have already shared cumin water recipe for babies, and this fragrant cumin powder recipe comes handy when preparing savory porridges, khichdi, soups, etc. for your baby. Also, tastes flavorful than store-bought cumin powder!
How to use this Cumin Powder for babies:
Points to consider while preparing cumin powder:
- Roast the cumin seeds in low flame and make sure to not to burn it as it gives a burnt smell when used in recipes.
- Don’t roast it for too long, roast until its aromatic. If the cumin seeds are roasted for too long, it may taste bitter.
- Make sure to grind the cumin seeds to a fine powder.
- Store the Roasted cumin powder in a cool and dry place. Stays good for 1-2 months.
- Always prepare cumin powder in small batches as it stays fresh in that way.
Homemade Roasted Cumin Powder For Babies and Kids
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 cup
- Measure cumin seeds. Clean the seeds by discarding muds if any. Organic cumin seeds won't have impurities in general. Heat a pan and dry roast cumin seeds in low flame until the color changes, and pleasant aroma comes. It may take 2-3 minutes. Switch off the flame once done.
- Once the cumin seeds are cooled down, grind them in a blender to a fine powder. Spread it on a plate, cool down and store it in an airtight container.
1. Measure cumin seeds. Clean the seeds by discarding muds if any. Organic cumin seeds won’t have impurities in general. Heat a pan and dry roast cumin seeds in low flame until the color changes, and pleasant aroma comes. It may take 2-3 minutes. Switch off the flame once done.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
- Begin with a small amount and always serve cumin in moderation.
- Make sure to use husk free cumin seeds to prepare this cumin powder