Cumin Seeds/Jeera/ Jeeragam/Jira is a spice which is widely used in Indian cooking to give distinct flavor and aroma. They are also used for medicinal purposes to heal digestive problems, inflammation, vomiting symptoms and relive from a viral infection in babies, toddlers, kids, and even adults. In this post, I have given details about the health benefits of cumin seeds, how to introduce cumin seeds to babies, how to select them and the method of preparing cumin water at home with step by step pictures and video.
- Cumin seeds are highly beneficial in treating repository problems like cold symptoms, breathing problems and asthma by clearing mucus from the airways through inhaling the seeds or when taken as cumin water.
- It Helps fighting viral and bacterial infection in children.
- Helps in treating digestive issues like stomach ache, gas, hemorrhoids, acidity, etc.
- Excellent source of calcium and iron which is vital for babies and children growth
- Effective in Treating constipation in children
- Being rich in Vitamin C improves immunity in kids
Cumin seeds can be included in babies diet from 6 months. When you introduce, you can start with cumin water. Once the baby starts eating a variety of food, you can gradually include cumin seeds in other foods like khichdi, porridge, etc
Always choose organic cumin seeds which are husk free and no harmful chemicals added.
- For babies below one year, when you introduce cumin water, feed only 2-3 tsp per day at the maximum. Gradually increase the quantity to 2-3 tbsp. Also, it’s recommended to give cumin water only 2-3 times a week for babies aged less than a year.
- For babies above one year, you can give 1/4 cup per day. Also, it’s recommended giving cumin water only 3-4 times a week.
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Water - 2 cups
- Organic Jaggery Powder - ½ tsp (optional)
- Take a saucepan, add 2 cups of water and one tsp of cumin seeds and bring it to a rolling boil in medium flame.
- When it comes to a rolling boil, add jaggery powder if using. Boil it further for 7-10 minutes in low flame, by this time water quantity must have reduced to half. Switch off the flame once done.
- Cool it down and strain the water using a filter. Discard the cumin seeds. Serve the cumin water warm.
Here is the video recipe for how to make cumin water for babies and kids
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
- Begin with sa mall amount and always serve cumin seeds in moderation.
- Cumin water can be prepared with cumin powder too instead of cumin seeds. The method and the quantity mentioned is the same.
- Make sure to use husk free cumin seeds to prepare this cumin water.
- For babies below one year, give plain cumin water without any sweetener.