Instant Sooji Uttapam/Sooji Cheela/Rava Cheela - Thick pancake like dosa made with sooji/rava , curd/yogurt, grated veggies and cashews. Dealing with fussy eater as a parent is not easy, you might me trying more ways to include veggies in their diet for their nutrition. This sooji cheela is one such delicious recipe, there are only least chances for kids to say a no to it 🙂 This sooji cheela is very quick to make and tastes so delicious, it can be given to babies as finger food from 8 months and give as a quick evening snack for toddlers and kids. You can serve this sooji uttapam plain or with curd or any chutney or even sambar. You can check our collection of 15+ dosa varieties here.
Now Let's get on to check how to make this easy sooji uttapam/ sooji cheela for babies, toddlers and kids.
Instant Sooji Uttapam Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids | Sooji Cheela for Babies
- Sooji/ Rava / Semolina - ½ cup
- Curd / Yogurt- ½ cup
- Water - ½ cup
- Ginger - 1 teaspoon chopped
- Green chilli - 1 teaspoon chopped
- Cashews - 1.5 tablespoon chopped
- Onions - 3 tablespoon chopped
- Tomato - 2 tablespoon chopped
- Chopped Vegetables* - ¾ cup
- Coriander leaves - 1 tablespoon chopped
- Salt - as needed
- Oil/Ghee - for making Uttappams
- * I used corn carrots & beans
- Chop the onions, coriander leaves and tomatoes finely. Chop all vegetables finely. Keep everything ready. In a mixing bowl, add sooji and curd.
- Then add onion, tomato, ginger, coriander leaves, green chilli, chopped vegetables, required salt, and ½ cup of water. Mix everything well and add some water if the batter is too thick. Close the mixing bowl with a lid and set this mixture aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- After 30 minutes, Heat a pan or iron skillet, add a ladle of prepared batter to it and spread it to form a circle. Don't spread too much. It should be thick like pancakes. Sprinkle oil/ghee. Cook in low medium flame. Cook until brown on one side for three minutes and flip it carefully. Repeat the same for remaining sooji batter.
- Cook in low medium flame to get better results.
- You can try this sooji cheela with broken wheat rava instead of sooji.
- You can add any chopped veggies of your choice.
- Don't spread this sooji uttappam thin.
- Introduce this sooji cheela to your baby after introducing sooji & veggies separate.
- This sooji uttappam tastes best when served hot.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
Can I store the batter overnight?
Yes you can.
Store it in refrigerator
Can I make without curd or yogurt . My baby is 8 month and still I have not started giving curd
without curd it wont be soft..still you can give a try!
Curd is good for babies if its not sour, you can start giving some to ur baby, curd is Rich in calcium, vitamin B-2, vitamin B-12, potassium, and magnesium, curd has amazing health and beauty benefits
My kid has no teeth.. still can I give him pancake
yes if its soft baby can chew with gums
Will the veggies be cooked and soft enough for my 8 month old to chew? Since we're not steaming or cooking the veggies as such?
As the veggies are finely chopped, it will get cooked along with the uttapam. you can also cook or steam it separate
Great, thanks! Your website is so exhaustive, so many recipe ideas. It's absolutely wonderful. Thank you for putting all this together. 🙂
Thank you so much for your positive feedback 🙂
Do I have to roast Sooji before adding curd?
Roasting sooji is optional. you can roast it to ensure quick cooking
Your website has been so helpful for me. It provides diverse food options when I need a last minute recipe for my baby. Thank you so much for creating this and for your quick response ??
Am glad you found my website useful 🙂