Instant poha idli - a quick, no grind, no fermentation idlis are made with poha, idli rava(cream of rice/rice rava) and curd. It's a quick and easy breakfast recipe you can make for a busy morning. I have referred the recipe from here. Though this recipe doesn't match the regular idlis, it will sure not disappoint you and is handy when you pressed for time! This poha idlis are little bland in taste, so serve it with sambar, chutney, gosthu or any tasty side dish of your choice! This can be given to babies after 10 months as a quick breakfast.
Instant Poha Idli Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids | Aval Idli
- Poha/Aval/Beaten Rice- 1 cup
- Idli Rava - 1.5 cups
- Curd - 1 cup
- Baking soda - a pinch optional
- Water - as required
- Salt - as required
- Measure poha, idli rava and curd. Keep all the ingredients ready. Soak poha in water 5 minute or until soft. I used thick poha variety and it was soft enough to mash with 5 minutes of soaking. Thin variety poha might take little longer time. Beat the curd and mix soaked poha.
- Now add idli rava, baking soda (I didn't use) with required salt and mix everything well. Add water and let it sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, poha and idli rava absorbed most of the water content. Hence adjust with water to make it idli batter consistency that is neither too thick nor thin.
- Now start making idlis, pour the batter in each idli mould. Steam it with a cup of water for 10 to 12 minutes in medium flame. Check with a spoon, if it's coming clean, the Idlis are ready! Switch off the flame and remove from moulds.
- I used thick poha variety and it was soft enough to mash with 5 minutes of soaking. Thin variety poha might take little longer.
- This poha idli batter keeps well for a day or two.
- Skip salt and baking soda for babies below one year.
- Make sure to introduce each ingredients separate to your baby, before you try this poha idli recipe.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.