Gooseberry Rice Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Rice - 3/4 cup
- gooseberry- 4 medium sized
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Salt - as required
- To temper:
- Sesame Oil/Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
- Channa Dal / Bengal Gram Dal - 3/4 tsp
- Hing/ Astofedia - a generous pinch
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Red chilli - 2
- Green chilli - 2
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Peanuts/ Cashews - 1.5 tbsp optional
- Wash rice thoroughly with water. Pressure cook rice in a medium flame for three to four whistles with required amount of water. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly and set aside.
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Wash gooseberries thoroughly in running water with little salt. Then grate them using a grater. Discard the seeds. Heat a pan with oil. Add all the items listed to temper. Let mustard seeds cracks and urad dal and Bengal gram dal turns brown.
- Then add curry leaves, green chilies and red chilies. Now add in grated gooseberry along with turmeric powder and required salt.
- Saute everything well in medium flame for 3-5 minutes or until the gooseberry gets cooked. Switch off the flame once done. Now add cooked rice and mix using a fork slowly.
- Mix well until the rice is coated with gooseberry and tempering items. Top it with ghee fried cashews if desired. Give at least 15 minutes of resting time and serve!
- If the gooseberries are big and tangy, use only two.
- Adjust spices according to your preference.
- You can even make this goose berry rice with left over cooked rice too.
- Any normal cooking rice can be used to prepare this rice.
- You can add powdered nuts instead of whole cashews/peanuts for small babies.
- For small babies mash the rice well and offer.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.