Thandai - fresh, homemade healthy drink energized with almonds and spices which is served as a special drink for Holi (a big festival celebrated in North India). The refreshing thandai drink is not only meant for the special occasions but for the hot summer too as it acts as a body coolant.
I was looking for a easy holi recipes which are suited for kids and adopted this thandai recipe from here. I found this drink so tasty & addictive and am so happy that one more health drink added to my list 🙂 Traditionally thandai is made with poppy seeds but I have replaced it with cashews & pistachios to make it kids friendly. Now let's get on to check how to make thandai recipe for toddlers and Kids.
Thandai Recipe for Toddlers and Kids | Easy Holy Recipes
- Milk - 2 cups
- Brown Sugar/palm sugar - 2 tbsp
- Saffron- few strands
- Almonds - 10-12
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Pepper corns - 5
- Cashews - 5
- Pistachios - 5
- Cardamom - 1/4 tsp
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Soak saffron in a tbsp of milk and set aside. Soak almonds in hot water for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, peel the skin of almonds and pat dry it with a towel. Take the ingredients mentioned "to powder" to a blender along with peeled almonds.
- Grind them to a fine powder as possible. Boil the milk in a saucepan pan for 5 minutes in low medium flame. Then add the ground powder, saffron mix and sugar. Mix well with a whisk.
- Keep it in simmer until it becomes slightly thick. Once done, refrigerate the mix for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then strain the mixture through a strainer. Now pour the strained milk in glasses and serve.
You could also make a paste of the mix in a blender with little milk to grind them smooth if you don't own a powerful blender to powder it well.
- For small kids, Make sure to strain the mix completely in order to avoid choking and for a creamy thandai.
- You could skip straining the mixture for slightly older kids if they like the coarse texture.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food to your baby.
- Skip sweetener if your baby don't demand sweet taste.
- Make sure to try this thandai recipe after introducing each ingredient separate to your kid.