Prunes are dried plums that are the best remedy to relieve constipation in babies, toddlers, and kids. Prunes are also rich in fiber and low in sodium which makes nutritious food for babies. In this post, let's check how to introduce prunes, how to select them, and the method of preparing prunes puree or prunes juice for babies to treat constipation. Also, please do check other options: Home Remedies to treat constipation and Top Foods Relieve to Constipation in babies, toddlers & Kids
Prunes are less allergic in nature, and hence can be included in the baby's diet from 6 months. When you introduce it, you can offer as plain prunes puree and then gradually shift to mashed prunes and give it as a finger food by cutting it into tiny pieces around 8 months. If your baby doesn't like the taste of plain prunes puree, you could add them to cereals/ porridges.
Always choose natural prunes which are sulfate-free and without chemicals.
Prunes Puree Recipe for Babies | Prunes for Baby Constipation
- Prunes - 10
- Water - as required
- Soak the dried prunes in warm water for 30 minutes or until they are soft enough to mash. You could alternatively steam the dried prunes for 10 minutes.
- Once the prunes are soft, puree them in a blender with the water used for soaking. You could also mash them with your hands for older babies. If you would like to juice them, blend with more water and strain the juice using a strainer.
The dried prunes puree is ready to feed your baby.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
- This recipe makes two servings. Begin with a small amount and always serve prunes in moderation.
- You could mix prunes with apples, bananas, blueberries, or yogurt to make it tastier. But if used as a remedy for constipation, plain prunes puree is the best.
- If you are giving prunes juice to relieve constipation in babies, give it in moderation, as no liquids shouldn't replace breastfeeding or formula feeding until one year.
- Start with a small amount when you introduce it.