Palm Sugar Powder- Palm Candy/Panakarkandu/ Tal Mishri is a natural sweetener and a healthy substitute for sugar. Palm sugar is made from the sap of the palm tree, by boiling the sap until it is reduced to sugar crystals. It is unrefined, also a natural source of Vitamin B12 and other minerals like calcium and iron with Low GI (Glycemic index).
This palm sugar powder is super easy to make at home. It can be readily used in desserts/porridges for your baby/toddler. As it is in powdered form, you can even use it for cakes, cookies like white sugar. This powdered palm sugar can be stored in the airtight container and stays good for at least six months.
When can Palm Sugar be introduced to babies?
How to choose Palm Candy?
Palm candy is easily found in Asian or India markets. Choose a light to dark brown colored palm candy. Make sure to buy the palm candy from the reliable brand/seller as its adulterated with white sugar and sold in the market.
How to consume this palm sugar powder?
- Can be a sweetener for baby/toddler desserts, porridge’s, kheer, purees, etc
- It is easily dissolvable, Mix it with milk and offer as a health drink to your toddler.
- Use as a sweetener for desserts instead of sugar.
- Replace white sugar with palm sugar powder for cookies/cakes.
- Palm Candy- 1 cup
- Measure and take Palm candy. Transfer to a blender and grind it to a smooth powder.
- Sieve the powdered palm sugar using a sieve. Then store in an airtight container and use whenever required.
Here is the video of how to make Palm sugar powder
- Make sure to sieve the powdered palm sugar to remove impurities if any.
- This powdered palm sugar can be stored in the airtight container and stays good for at least six months.
- It does not need refrigeration, but you can store in the fridge if the weather is humid.
- Use a clean, dry spoon every-time while using.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.