Cauliflower Soup – healthy, creamy, cauliflower soup with nuts, pepper powder and onions for babies, toddlers and kids. Cauliflower tastes best when combined with nuts and loved by kids because of its creamy texture. It takes very little time to prepare but tastes delicious. Cauliflower soup can be given to babies from 8 months and it is a best option to include cauliflower in babies diet. Read more below on when and how to introduce cauliflower to babies and how to select them.
When and how to introduce Cauliflower for babies:
Cauliflower is not a great first food for babies as it might cause gas in some babies and hence its ideal to introduce cauliflower to babies after 8 months once the baby is introduced to variety of foods. If the baby is having any stomach upset or gas ,stop feeding cauliflower for a while and reintroduce in later moths. When you introduce cauliflower for the first time, you can offer little amount of steamed cauliflower puree/mashed cauliflower and then gradually increase the quantity.
Cauliflower can be steam cooked or baked for baby food. If the baby does not like the bland taste of the cauliflower, it can be combined with little spice or vegetables like peas, potato or lentils.
How to select and store Cauliflower:
Choose a tender cauliflower which is wrapped with more green leaves. After buying them, store it in a refrigerator with stem portion down to retain the moisture.
Cauliflower Soup Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids| Easy Soup Recipes
- Cauliflower florets - 1 cup
- Onions - 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Garlic - 4 small cloves finely chopped
- Salt - as required
- Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
- Butter- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Walnuts/Almonds - 6
- Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Water -1/2 cup
- Finely chop onions & garlic, also keep all the other ingredients ready. Wash cauliflower in running water well. Take florets from cauliflower and keep it ready. Boil water in a sauce pan with little salt and turmeric powder. Switch off the flame and Add cauliflower florets to it. Keep it undisturbed for 5 minutes. Then drain the water and keep it ready.
- In a pressure cooker, heat a tsp of butter and add cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Then add garlic. Saute them for two minutes. Now add onions. Fry them nicely until golden brown.
- Now add cauliflower florets. Give a quick stir. Add 1/2 cup of water. Pressure cook the cauliflower florets, garlic and fried onions together for one whistle. Once the pressure is released open the cooker, it will be soft.
- Transfer the pressure cooked cauliflower to a blender along with milk and walnuts or nuts of your choice. Grind it to a smooth paste. For babies below one year, blend it with water.
- Then heat the ground paste in a saucepan, add required salt and pepper powder. mix well and bring it to a boil. Switch off the flame and serve warm. For babies below one year, add breast milk or formula milk when the soup is warm and feed your baby.
- Adjust pepper powder according to your preference.
- Dont use more water for pressure cooking. otherwise the soup will be watery.
- For babies below one year, add breast milk or formula milk when the soup is warm and feed your baby.
- You can add any nuts of your choice, but make sure your baby is not allergic to it.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- You can steam cook the cauliflower instead of pressure cooking.
- Skip salt and cows milk for babies below one year.
- Adjust milk quantity, according to the thickness of soup.