Sweet Potato Poha - easy healthy breakfast recipe made with poha & sweet potatoes. This healthy poha can be done in jiffy and hence its ideal for busy mornings. You can even make it with aloo/potatoes instead of sweet potatoes. I usually make plain poha upma or sometimes with vegetables or make it with potatoes as aloo poha. I have tried this sweet potato poha last week as I had to finish the left over sweet potato which is lying in my vegetables basket. It tasted so good and apt for kids ! I should say it's one of the best way to include sweet potatoes into fussy eaters diet. This sweet potato poha can be given to babies after 10 months once they started eating all family foods.
Sweet Potato Poha Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Poha/ Aval/ Flattened Rice/Beaten Rice - 1 cup
- Sweet potato - 1 medium sized cubes comes to ¾ cup
- Onions - 1 small
- Green chillies - 1
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Sugar - 1 tsp optional
- Lemon Juice - 2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - to garnish
- Water - as needed
- Salt - as required
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Hing/ Asafoetida - ⅛ tsp
- Wash sweet potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Set aside. Keep all the other ingredients ready. Chop onions, green chillies and coriander leaves. Take juice from lemon and keep it ready. Wash and soak poha in water until its soft enough to mash. Squeeze the water completely from poha once it's soft.Heat oil in a pan and add the items to temper one by one. Saute until cumin seeds cracks.
- Then add onions along with green chillies and saute onions until it's transparent.Then add cubed sweet potatoes and toss it well. Add 2 tablespoon of water and cook it covered for 5-7 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft. Make sure the sweet potatoes are soft enough to bite but not too mushy.
- Then add soaked poha with sugar and required salt. Mix well.
- Cook everything covered for two to three minutes and switch off the flame, add lemon juice & garnish with coriander leaves.
- I used thick poha variety, you can either use thin or thick variety based on the availability.
- You could also add cashews or nuts powder while tempering.
- You can even use red poha variety which is more healthier.
- Any cooked vegetables can be used instead of sweet potatoes.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
- Make sure the sweet potatoes are soft enough to bite but not too mushy.
- Skip sugar and salt for babies below one year.
- Make sure to introduce everything separate to your baby before you try this sweet potato poha.
Leave a Reply