Cream of tomato soup - wholesome, creamy, healthy soup with tomatoes, butter and fresh cream. I have already posted south Indian style tomato soup (tomato rasam) so wanted to try this creamy tomato soup. It came out so well as like restaurants. I am sure kids will like this creamy and delicious tomato soup! This creamy tomato soup is ideal for babies from 10 months and apt for monsoon or winter season.
Cream of Tomato Soup Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Tomatoes - 3 to 4
- Onions - 1 tablespoon finely chopped optional
- Garlic - 4 small cloves finely chopped
- Salt - as required
- Bread cubes - few optional
- Butter/Ghee - 1 tsp
- Bay leaves - 1 small
- Cinnamon - a small piece
- Cloves - 1
- Pepper powder - ½ tsp
- Water - as required
- Fresh cream - 1 tsp
- Wash tomatoes in running water well. Take a saucepan with water and add tomatoes to it. Boil them for 5 minutes or until the outer skin of tomatoes are started coming out. Switch off the flame once done and cool it down. Finely chop onions & garlic. Keep all the other ingredients ready.
- Grind the tomatoes to a smooth puree without any chunks. Set aside.
- Heat a saucepan with butter and toast the bread cubes until golden brown. Remove from the pan once done.Now in the same pan, add remaining butter, bay leaves, cinnamon and cloves. Fry them for a minute.
- Now add chopped onions and garlic together. Fry them nicely until golden brown. Now add pureed tomatoes and mix well. Add ¼ cup of water if required. Boil it for 5 minutes in low medium flame.
- Once the soup is slightly thick, add required salt, pepper powder and fresh cream/grated cheese. Mix well. Switch off the flame and serve warm with toasted bread cubes.
- For older babies, You can add a teaspoon of corn flour while boiling the tomato puree, to make the soup thick and creamy.
- Adjust pepper powder according to the tanginess of tomatoes.
- You could remove the tempering items like cloves, bay leaves and cinnamon before serving to small babies.
- You can also skip onions while making this soup
- Adding bread toast is optional but recommended as it gives a nice taste to the soup.
- For babies above one year, You can also add ¼ cup of milk instead of water while boiling the soup.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.