Besan ka Sheera/ Besan halwa is a delicious dessert, but surprisingly a verified home remedy for cold and cough in babies, toddlers, kids, and even adults! Besan ka sheera is often made with besan flour/gram flour, ghee, sugar, milk, and nuts (Check the besan halwa recipe, which I shared earlier with the ingredients mentioned above). Still, here we are using water and jaggery to prepare the same, and no nuts, also Besan is a good source of antioxidants that help clear the nasal tract which makes the besan ka sheera is a perfect medication for cold and cough!
This besan halwa is very quick to prepare, perfect for winters, and works wonder for running nose, sore throat, and severe cough. Some important points about the besan ka sheera are listed below.
- It's useful for cold and cough when taken at night before sleeping and serve the besan halwa warm. For babies, when you introduce, Offer 2-3 teaspoon of this besan halwa before sleep. Slowly increase the quantity based on the baby's interest and tolerance.
- Don't offer water to your baby at least for an hour after feeding this Besan halwa.
- The consistency of the halwa can be adjusted with the amount of water. Thin consistency is preferable if being consumed as a remedy for cold and cough.
This besan halwa can be given to babies from 10 months after introducing besan separately. Check out the list of other foods to provide for babies and kids during cold and cough here. Do give this a try and test yourself whether it works as a remedy for cold and am sure it will!
Now Let's check how to make this besan halwa recipe for cold and cough in babies, toddlers, and kids.
Besan Ka Sheera Recipe for Cough and Cold in Babies, Toddlers, and Kids | Besan Halwa
- Gram Flour/ Besan Flour - 2 tbsp
- Jaggery - 2 tbsp
- Homemade Ghee - 3 tsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Cardamom powder - a tiny pinch optional
- Measure besan flour, sugar, water. Keep aside. In a pan, add besan flour and saute in low flame until nice aroma comes. Switch off the flame once done. In a saucepan, take jaggery and add ½ cup of water. Hear it until the jaggery completely melts. Strain the jaggery water using a filter to remove the impurities, if any. Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add roasted besan flour to it. Mix it well. Take care not to form any lumps.
- Start Cook on low flame for 5 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken a bit. Now add jaggery water along with cardamom powder. Mix well; now, the mixture begins to increase in volume. Stir it continuously while cooking; otherwise, it may stick to the vessel.
- When the halwa is slightly thick, and the raw smell of besan flour is completely gone, add the remaining ½ cup of water. Give a boil for 2-3 minutes until a porridge-like consistency is reached.
- You can also add a pinch of turmeric powder and pepper powder to this besan halwa.
- You can use milk instead of water for babies above one year.
- Make sure to not to form lumps at any stage and cook everything in low flame.
- The color of the halwa depends on the jaggery type used. You can even use sugar instead of jaggery for babies above one year.
- I have made this besan halwa thin in consistency like porridge as its for small babies. You can also prepare like thick halwa by skipping step 4 and cook it further until the halwa forms a mass and leaving the sides of the pan.
- The raw smell of besan shouldn't exist in the final product. Roast and cook the besan flour accordingly.
- Always prepare this besan halwa fresh and serve babies.
- Generally, besan flour doesn't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Do consult with a doctor if cold symptoms persist.