Weaning is a process of including complementary feeding other than breastmilk or formula milk. Starting weaning to a baby is a big milestone which is fun and worry as well. Most of the mommies are confused about when to start solids for baby. Here I have provided some useful information regarding the same. Hope it helps to begin the solid foods for your baby.
Recommendations on when to introduce solids:
Early introduction to solids less than 6 months may lead to adverse reactions to foods and allergies. This is important when you have a history of food allergies in your family. There are some scenarios (like a reflex) or other reasons, your pediatrician may suggest you start early as before 6 months. Then the option is yours but weaning as early before 4 months is not generally recommended.
Signs that baby is ready for weaning:
- Curious to know what you are eating
- Makes chewing motions
- Can hold the head up, in a steady upright position
- Sits well with support
Even if your baby is showing these signs, it’s always best to wait until 6 months.
- Always use clean hands and sterilized vessels & bowls to make your food and feed your baby.
- Never leave your baby unattended while eating to avoid the risk of choking.
- Always serve the baby with fresh food to prevent the loss of nutrients. Consume within 1 hour after preparation. Discard the leftovers before it gets contaminated.
- Use cooled boiled water to make your baby food.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.