Dal Ka Pani is a watery lentil soup offered as a first food for babies next to rice once they turned six months. When you introduce this to your baby, prepare Dal ka pani with moong dal or masoor dal as those are easier to digest for babies. Once your baby is comfortable with it, you could try with toor dal. Also this lentil soup has to be watery when you introduce, gradually you can reduce the amount of water to make it thicker and filling for your baby.
I have introduce this dal ka pani to my baby after her tummy is adjusted with this rice porridge. She loved it when she had taken the first sip of this watery lentil soup. I was so happy to see the empty bowl. Let’s get on to check how to make this protein rich dal ka pani for babies.
- Moong dal - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
- Water - 1 cup
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Wash moong dal well in running water. Then add washed moong dal, required amount of water and turmeric powder in a small pressure cooker. Mix well. Close the lid and pressure cook it in low medium flame for 4 whistles.
- Open the cooker once the pressure released. Mash the moong dal well with your hands or with a masher and then strain through a strainer to get a clear dal soup. You could gradually reduce the water amount and make this lentil soup thick.
- Make sure the moong dal is well cooked.
- Generally moong dal doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- When you are introducing this lentil soup, start with 1 tbsp and later you can increase the quantity.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.