Besan halwa is a rich dessert, tastes delicious and yummy. It’s my favorite dessert from childhood, I haven’t tasted a better one than this (my mother’s version). I must say it tastes divine!!!! It’s not a dish we make everyday and it’s meant for special occasions so don’t feel guilty to enjoy this royal indulgence!
This besan halwa can be given to toddlers and kids after introducing besan separately. This besan halwa is sure a hit with kids and with the whole family as well. Please give a try and treat yourself and am sure you will thank me for it : ) Let’s check how to make this yummy dessert, besan halwa recipe for toddlers and kids.
Besan Halwa Recipe for Toddlers and Kids | Desserts
- Besan Flour - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 3/4 cup to 1 cup
- Homemade Ghee - 4 tbsp
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Cashew nuts - 2 tbsp
- Saffron - few strands
- Cardamom powder - a generous pinch
- Measure besan flour, sugar, milk and ghee. Keep aside. In a pan add besan flour and saute it until nice aroma comes. Switch off the flame once done.
- Grind cashew nuts to a fine powder. Set aside.
- Take milk in a pan and add saffron strands. Keep this aside for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, add besan flour to it. Mix it well. Take care to not to form any lumps.
- Start Cook on low lame for 5 minutes until the mixture starts thicken a bit. Now add sugar. Once the sugar dissolves, the mixture Increase in volume. Stir it continuously while cooking otherwise it may stick to the vessel.
- Add ghee little by liitle and Continue stirring for 3-5 minutes. When the halwa is doesn't stick to the pan, add cashew nut powder along with powdered cardamom and give a quick stir.
- Cook it further until the halwa forms a mass and leaving the sides of the pan. Switch it off once done and serve.
- Make sure to not to form lumps at any stage.
- Serve this besan halwa hot or cold as per your preference.
- It stays well for 2 days when refrigerated.
- Use generous amount of ghee to get a very smooth texture and rich taste.
- Cook everything in low flame patiently to enjoy the royal treat.
- Generally besan flour doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Restrict with few spoons for smaller kids as it may be heavy for them.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.