Whole Wheat Coconut Cookies- easy, quick, tasty and healthy cookie/biscuit recipe made with whole wheat flour & desiccated coconut. Coconut cookies are my little ones favorite and wanted to try at home. As I’ve been used to the store bought ones, was very skeptical whether I would succeed in my try. But this recipe proved me wrong, it came out super tasty, crispy and crunchy. This whole wheat coconut cookies can be given to kids from one year and makes a good snack for kids.
- Whole Wheat Flour -1 cup
- Desiccated Coconut- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
- Palm sugar/ Brown Sugar/Powdered White Sugar - ½ cup
- Cardamom powder or Vanilla Essence - ½ tsp
- Butter - ½ cup or 1 butter stick or 113 gms
- Boiled Milk - 2 tbsp
- Salt -a tiny pinch
- Measure and keep all ingredients ready. Also preheat the oven to 180 deg C for 10 minutes. In a mixing bowl, add 1 cup of wheat flour, ¼ cup of desiccated coconut and salt. Mix well.
- Then take the butter in a vessel. Let it come to a room temperature. Then add brown sugar to it. if using palm sugar or white sugar grind it to a fine powder and add here. Mix well until the sugar is completely melted.
- Add this butter sugar mix along with vanilla essence or cardamom powder to the dry ingredients and start to mix the dough with your hands gently until you get the soft dough consistency. Add 1 to 2 tbsp of milk to reach the soft dough consistency.
- Once the soft dough consistency is reached, keep the cookie dough in refrigerator for 20 mins. In the meantime, line the cookie tray with a cookie sheet/parchment paper. After 20 mins, take the cookie dough from the refrigerator and start making balls and flatten it using your palms. Then dip the top side of the cookie in the desiccated coconut.
- Arrange the cookies and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes (baking time depends on the size of the cookies and oven) at 180° C till cookies are browned at the bottom. Allow to cool in tray for 5 minutes and serve the cookies.
- Adjust with milk while kneading the dough to reach the soft dough consistency.
- If the dough is too sticky, adjust with 1 tbsp of wheat flour.
- The cookies stays well for a week at room temperature if stored in an airtight container.
- Keep an eye on the oven after 13 minutes of baking and check cookies turned brown at the bottom though the cookies may look soft. After cooling down the cookies will turn crunchy.
- Powder the sugar for making the process easy if using palm sugar or regular brown sugar. I used demerara sugar and hence used it as such.
- Mixing and measurements are most important for the perfect cookies.