Urad Dal Rice / Urad Dal Khichdi (with sesame seeds chutney or Ellu thuvaiyal) : Urad dal rice is an easy, quick, one pot nutritious meal for babies, toddlers and kids. Its a very famous dish in south Tamilnadu, India. This urad dal rice is good for growing children and helps to gain healthy weight and strengthen the uterus of girl child.
Traditionally this urad dal rice is served with sesame oil, sesame seeds chutney and jaggery followed by curd. This urad dal rice and sesame seeds chutney can be given to babies from 10 months after introducing rice, urad dal and sesame seeds separately. Adjust red chillies and garlic according to your baby’s tolerance level. Here is how to make this easy urad dal rice recipe & sesame seeds chutney for babies, toddlers and kids.
- Rice - 1 cup
- Split Urad dal - ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
- Grated Coconut - ¼ cup
- Garlic cloves - 10 small
- Sesame oil - ½ tsp
- Salt - ¼ tsp
- Water - 3.5 cups
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds - ½ cup
- Red chillies - 3 to 4
- Grated Coconut - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Salt - as required
- Tamarind - a pinch
- Measure rice and urad dal. Peel garlic and keep it ready along with other ingredients. Wash rice and urad dal together, soak it in water for 10 minutes.
- Heat a pressure cooker with sesame oil. Add garlic cloves and give a quick stir. Then add soaked urad dal and rice after draining the water. Saute them for 2 minutes.
- Then add grated coconut. Mix well. Then add required amount of water and bring it to a boil. Then close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three to four whistles. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly, top with sesame oil if required.
- Don’t skip garlic. It gives a nice flavour and taste.
- I used split white urad dal. You could use split black urad dal too which is more healthy.
- White sesame seeds can be replaced with black sesame seeds.
- Any Normal cooking rice can be used to prepare this urad dal rice.
- If you want this urad dal rice to be mushy, add extra 1/2 cup of water.
- Adjust spices according to your preference.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.