Roasted phool Makhana -roasted puffed lotus seeds/fox nuts with mild spices which is a great snack for kids. I am recently started trying more recipes with phool makhana after knowing the health benefits of it. This roasted phool makhana is addictive that no one can stop with one and tastes no less than store bought chips with the added bonus of healthy goodness.
You could make this in bulk and store it in an air tight container, serve this as an evening snack when the kids are back from school. Roasted phool makhana can also be given to babies from 10 months as a finger food , cut into small pieces and give your baby in order to avoid choking.
Here is how to make roasted phool makhana recipe for babies, toddlers and kids.
- Phool Makhana - 2 cups
- Ghee -3 tsp
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Black Pepper powder - ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder - ¼ tsp (optional)
- Salt - as required
- Measure and take 2 cups of phool makhana. Heat 2 tsp of ghee in a pan and melt it.
- Then add the phool makhana to the pan and start roasting in a low flame. Also keep the spice powders and salt ready in a plate.
- Once the phool makhana is roasted well and crispy, add one more tsp of ghee and add in spice powders quickly.
- Switch off the flame immediately and give a stir until the spice powders are mixed well with a roasted phool makhana. Remove the pan from the stove once done. Serve it immediately or store them in an airtight container.
- Do everything in low flame and also make sure to not to burn the spices as it will spoil the taste completely .
- Be sure to roast the makhana well before adding spices. Take one roasted makhana, eat & check its crispy and not chewy.
- If you are making in bulk, do it in batches.
- Adjust spices according to your child’s preference.
- Skip salt, red chili powder for small babies and Cut the roasted makhana into small pieces in order to avoid choking.
- Always check with your baby’s doctor before giving any new food to your baby.