Rice Porridge Recipe for Sick Child – Easily digestible, healthy porridge/kanji recipe for babies and kids which is known to reduce fever, cold , diarrhea or stomach upset. This rice porridge or kanji is so refreshing, soothing, also simple to prepare and helps to give instant energy during illness. Its also ideal for adults, pregnant women and lactating moms. I have prepared this rice porridge with diluted milk and ghee for added taste, but it can be prepared only with water and without ghee for a sick child to ensure easier digestion.
This rice porridge can be given to babies from 6 months (make it without milk for babies below one year) after introducing rice and moong dal separate. Now lets get on to check how to make this rice porridge for a sick child.
- Rice - ¼ cup
- Moong Dal - ½ tbsp
- Cumin powder- ⅛ tsp
- Water - 1.5 cups
- salt - as needed
- Ghee - ¼ tsp(optional)
- Boiled Milk - ¼ cup(optional)
- Take rice & moong dal and wash it well. Dry it under the sun or shade for 1 hour or until the rice & moong dal dried completely. Take the dried rice & moong dal in a sauce pan. Dry roast in low flame until the rice is hot to touch and little puffy and moong dal turns slight golden brown. Add cumming seeds now and give a quick stir. Switch off the flame once done.
- once the dry roasted items are cooled down, Grind them together in a mixer to a fine or slightly coarse powder.
- Take the freshly ground rice powder in a sauce pan and 1.5 cups of water to it. Mix well with a whisk. Make sure that no lumps are formed.
- Cook the rice powder in low flame for 5 to 8 minutes or until it is completely cooked in sauce consistency. Add salt, ghee(optional) and cumin powder now. Give a quick stir.
- Then add milk if using and boil it for 5 minutes and Switch off the flame. This step is completely optional . Let the porridge cool down and feed your baby
- This rice porridge is generally prepared with parboiled rice (puzhungal arisi in Tamil). But you can use any variety of rice which is locally available.
- You can also add two small garlic while boiling the porridge for extra taste and flavor.
- During fever or diarrhea prepare and feed this rice kanji or porridge only with water. Once the child is recovered, you can prepare this with milk.
- This rice porridge can be prepared only with dry roasted rice too. Moong dal gives extra flavor and added taste to the bland rice porridge.
- This rice porridge will become thick after cooling down, so switch off the flame accordingly. Adjust with warm water or milk while feeding if it becomes too thick.
- Generally rice & moong dal doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Increase the water quantity to 1.5 cups to 2 cups and make the porridge watery and thin when you are introducing this porridge to your baby.
- Salt or sugar is not advisable for babies under one year.