Puffed Rice/Muramure is a versatile food for babies and kids, ideal as a breakfast cereal or snack! Puffed rice is a type of puffed grain made from by heating rice(white or brown rice) kernels under high heat. It is an easily digestible food for babies, but it does not contain major source of proteins or fiber and hence it should be given to babies and small children in moderation.
This puffed rice cereal is made with roasted bengal gram dal for added proteins, and it is really helpful when travelling with infants as it can be used to make instant porridge without cooking . Read more further on the post about when and how to introduce puffed rice to babies, health benefits and more.
When can I introduce puffed rice to my baby?
Puffed rice can be included in baby’s diet after 7 months after introducing rice. When you introduce, begin with this puffed rice cereal, gradually you can offer puffed rice as a finger food once the baby started to chew well. Consult with your baby ‘s pediatrician before including puffed rice in baby’s diet.
Here are some nutritional benefits of puffed rice:
- It is easily digestible hence its ideal for babies and small children.
- Puffed rice(brown) contain significant amount of dietary fiber which helps maintaining healthy digestive tract.
- Puffed rice (brown) has some amount of protein, calcium and magnesium, which helps in over all development.
- Puffed rice made from brown rice (which has more nutrients) is more beneficial than the puffed rice made from white rice. Hence prefer buying the puffed rice made from brown rice.
- Water amount and cooking time vary depends on the puffed rice.
- Buying organic puffed rice is preferable for babies, if available.
- You can make instant Cerelac for your baby during travel, check the detailed method of preparation here.
- Add puffed rice cereal to milk and give as a breakfast cereal to your toddler.
- Add ghee, powdered jaggery to this puffed rice cereal mix and offer as a snack.
- Puffed Rice - 2 cups
- Roasted Bengal Gram Dal/pottu kadalai - ¼ cup
- Cardamom - 1
- Dry Ginger Powder - ⅛ tsp
- Measure puffed rice and roasted Bengal gram. Transfer the puffed rice, roasted Bengal gram and cardamom seeds to a blender/mixer/food processor.
- Grind them to a smooth powder. Then add dry ginger powder and run a mixie for 10 seconds. Transfer it to a plate and cool it down. Then store it in an airtight container.
Healthy homemade puffed rice cereal is ready!
- This puffed rice cereal powder keeps well for 2 months if handled properly.
- Clean the puffed rice properly and remove the husk(if any), before grinding.
- Adding cardamom powder and dry ginger powder to the puffed rice cereal mix, helps digesting the roasted Bengal gram dal easily.
- Store this puffed rice powder in a cool and dry place. Keep it in refrigerator if the temperature is extremely hot.
- You can grind it to a fine or coarse powder as per your preference.
- Generally puffed rice doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.