Kerala Banana Sandwich – Tasty and healthy sandwich recipe made with Kerala Nendran banana, bread and nuts. I had a ripe banana at home which needs to be finished soon, hence I was browsing through banana recipes, I found this recipe quite interesting. I tried it immediately and we totally loved it as it was deliciously tasty. Kerala nendran banana works well for this recipe, but one can try with other banana variety too. This banana sandwich is very quick to make and wholesome, can be given to kids from one year as a breakfast or a quick evening snack. Do try this yourself and watch the humble sandwich transform into a rich treat!
Now Let’s get on to check how to make this Kerala banana sandwich recipe for toddlers & kids.
- Whole Wheat Bread - 6 to 8 slices
- Ripe Kerala Banana/Any ripe banana - 2 (long)
- Grated Coconut - ¼ cup
- Cardamom Powder -1/4 tsp
- Cashews - 1 tbsp
- Brown Sugar/Jaggery Powder - 2 tbsp
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Butter/Ghee - to toast bread
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Peel and slice bananas.
- Mash the bananas well with a fork and keep it ready. Heat ghee in a pan (preferably non stick), add cashews. Saute it until it turns golden brown.
- Then add grated coconut along with cardamom powder to it and fry it for 2 minutes. Now add the mashed banana and cook it well in low medium flame for 5-7 minutes until it changes it color.
- Add in sugar now, stir it well. It starts melting and Mix everything together for two to three minutes or until it becomes thick. Switch off the flame once done. The filling for banana sandwich is ready now.
- Take two bread slices,apply butter on one side. Spread the prepared banana filling and Close with another bread slice and apply butter on it.
- Heat a pan, Cook it until brown on one side for 3 to 5 minutes and flip it when it tuns golden brown. Cook for 2 more minutes and remove from pan. Repeat the same process for remaining bread slices.
- The filling shouldn’t be dry, it should have some moisture.
- Always use whole wheat bread for the healthier version.
- Don’t stuff the filling too much otherwise it will come out while toasting.
- Choose well ripe banana to make this sandwich.
- Kerala nendran banana works well for this recipe, but one can try with other banana variety too.
- Adjust sweetness according to your preference.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.