Homemade urad dal flour is easy to make at home, which is an essential ingredient to make lot of Indian snacks for kids and few recipes for babies too.
- Use this powder to make a sweet or salt porridge. Check this recipe for porridge preparation. Just replace the Homemade Cerelac powder mix with this urad dal flour.
- Add this urad dal powder to all types of instant dosa or pancakes to make it soft. Check some instant dosa recipes here: Dosa Recipes
- Use to make lot of sweet & savory snacks for toddlers and kids like urad dal halwa, urad dal ladoo, murukku, seedai, thattai etc. I will share some recipes soon.
Here is how to make homemade urad dal flour.
- White whole urad dal - ½ cup
- Measure the urad dal using a measuring cup & keep it ready. Wash urad dal and drain the water completely. Dry the urad dal under sun or shade for few hours or until it's completely dry. Washing and drying the urad dal is completely optional. You can skip this step too.
- After sun drying the urad dal, dry roast the urad dal in a pan in low flame for 5 minutes or until it's slightly brown. Remove from the pan and cool it down.
- Take the roasted Urad dal to a dry mixer jar and blend it to a smooth powder.
- Sieve the powder well. Again grind the coarse powder after sieving, repeat if necessary. Then roast the sieved flour in a pan, until nice aroma comes. Cool it down and store in a air tight container.
- You can store this urad dal flour in airtight container and keep it in refrigerator. It stays well 3 months if handled properly.
- Make sure the urad dal is completely dry before grinding.
- Make sure you cool down completely after roasting & blending. Otherwise it will let out moisture.
- You can also grind this powder in mill if you are preparing larger quantities.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.