Homemade almond milk powder is a nutrition rich powder which makes a great health drink for kids. Its sure a healthy alternative to the commercial health drinks which are loaded with synthetic nutrients. For more information on grinding nuts without lumps, check here
- Almond is rich in calcium hence strengthen the bones.
- Almonds are good for brain development.
- Almonds are great source of alkaline, hence helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Almonds are rich in Vitamin E hence keeps the skin glowing.
- Add a tsp of it to purees, mashed food, vegetables soups, milkshakes etc while cooking to increase the nutritional value and taste.
- Just sprinkle this powder to this sweet poha & offer to toddlers and kids which is a healthy alternative to cornflakes.
- Use this powder to make almond milk. Add it to milk and offer as a health drink to toddlers and adults. Check this recipe for almond milk preparation. Just replace the freshly grounded almond powder with this instant almond powder mix.
- Use this malted cereal mix powder to make instant ladoos, cookies etc
Here is how to make homemade almond milk powder for babies, toddlers and kids.
- Almonds/Badam - ½ cup
- Palm Sugar - ½ to ¾ cup
- Whole Cardamom - 3 nos
- Saffron - ¼ tsp
- Measure the almonds & palm sugar using a measuring cup as mentioned in the ingredients table & keep it ready. Next step is to blanch the almonds. Heat a cup of water in a saucepan until rolling boil and add almonds to it. Keep it undisturbed for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, add cold water to it and drain the water completely from it. Transfer the drained almonds to a clean absorbent cloth or a towel and pat dry it.
- Peel the skin off from the almonds and pat dry them once again. Then dry roast the blanched almonds in a pan until it's completely dry. Keep aside and cool it down. Take palm sugar and cardamom to a blender and give a run. Don't grind too much.
- Now add the roasted almonds along with saffron to the same blender and blend it to a smooth powder. Cool it down and store in a air tight container. For a very smooth powder, sieve it and store.
- You can store this homemade almond powder in a airtight container, Keep it in refrigerator if you live in a humid weather. It stays well 2 to 3 months if handled properly.
- You can use 1/4 cup of cashews to this almond mix. Just dry roast them and blend along with almonds.
- Instead of Palm sugar you can use white rock sugar. But adding white sugar is not recommended for babies below one year.
- Adjust the palm sugar quantity according to the sweetness.
- Make sure you cool down completely after roasting & blending. Otherwise it will let out moisture.
- Don’t grind too much as it may leave out oil.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.