Dal Rice/ Arisi Paruppu Sadam: Its a nutritious, mildly flavored variety rice made with lentils. Dal rice is an easy one pot wholesome meal made with pressure cooker. It tastes so delicious that kids will definitely enjoy it and can be served with plain curd or any simple stir fry. Dal rice is an ideal food for babies from 10 months after introducing rice and lentils separately. Here is how to make easy dal rice recipe for babies, toddlers and kids.
- Rice - 1 cup
- Toor dal - ½ cup
- Small onions- 10 (or) Big Onion - 1 medium sized
- garlic - 5 small
- Tomato - 1 medium sized
- Green chilli - 1 or 2
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Water - 3 cups
- Salt - as required
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - ¼ tsp
- Hing - a generous pinch
- Wash rice and toor dal together and soak it in warm water for 20 minutes. Slice onions, chop tomatoes finely. Slit green chillies. Roughly chop coriander leaves. Set aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee & oil. Add mustard seeds,cumin seeds,hing and fenugreek seeds. Let mustard seeds crackle. Then add onions along with green chillies. Saute them nicely until golden brown.
- Once onions becomes transparent , add tomatoes. Fry tomatoes until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves and become mushy. Then add turmeric powder and required salt
- Then add soaked rice & dal mix well. Add water (3 cups of water) and bring it to a boil.
- Then close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three to four whistles. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly, top with ghee if required. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve the Dal rice with a tsp of ghee and curd. Tastes divine!
- Big onions can be replaced with 10 number of Small onions/shallots for a different flavor and taste.
- You can add 1/4 tsp of sambar powder for variation.
- Skip green chillies for small babies.
- Always serve this dal rice hot or warm. Otherwise it will become dry.
- Any Normal cooking rice can be used to prepare this sambar rice.
- For 1 cup of rice and 1/2 cup of toor dal , 3 cups of water is sufficient with prior soaking of rice for 20 minutes. If you want it too mushy add 3.5 cups of water.
- Adjust spices & green chilli according to your preference.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.