Broken wheat/cracked wheat/samba gothumai rava is rich in calcium, vitamins carbohydrates and iron. It is a filling food for babies and keep them satisfied for long hours. Add cows milk to this porridge after your baby completes one year.
I have given this broken wheat porridge to my baby next to wheat porridge around her 9th month. To my surprise, she liked this healthy porridge. It is a bit time consuming process to cook this porridge compared to other porridge’s, but worth every bit of it. I don’t prefer to add sugar in my baby food and hence used jaggery and dates as sweetener. You can even use Palm sugar(karuppati) instead of jaggery.
- Broken Wheat - 2 tbsp
- Dates - 2
- Almonds - 4
- Powdered jaggery - 1.5 tbsp (optional)
- Water - ¼ cup + ¾ cup
- Cows milk - ½ cup ( don't add for babies under one year )
- Sterilise the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Boil cows milk (if using) in a sauce pan and keep it ready.
- Soak almonds in water for at least 2 to 3 hours. After 3 hours, peel the skin of almonds and set aside. De-seed the dates and keep it ready.
- Take 2 tbsp of broken wheat in a pressure cooker along with de-seeded dates, peeled alomonds. Add ¾ cup of water and close the lid of the pressure cooker. Pressure cook it for 3 whistles and open the cooker once the pressure released.
- Add ¼ cup of water to the powdered jaggery and boil in a separate vessel until it melts completely. Then filter out the jaggery water using a strainer. Set aside. Now take the pressure cooked broken wheat , dates and almonds in a blender along with filtered jaggery water. Blend them until smooth.
- Transfer the blended broken wheat into a sauce pan and switch on the flame. Add ½ cup of milk (Skip adding milk if you are preparing this porridge for a baby under one year ) to the sauce pan and mix everything slowly with a whisk. Boil the porridge in low medium flame. Stir it continuously while cooking otherwise porridge may stick to the vessel. Boil the porridge until it becomes thick. Remove from the flame once done and cool it down. The porridge becomes thick after cooling down. So switch off the flame accordingly.
- I use fine broken wheat for making this porridge. Soak the broken wheat for 1 hr and pressure cook if using whole broken wheat.
- Instead of soaking almonds, you can boil them in hot water for 5 minutes and peel the skin once cooled down.
- Skip cows milk if your baby is under a year old.
- Generally broken wheat doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- I use 24 mantra organic jaggery powder for my baby porridge’s.
- Increase the water quantity to 1 cup and make the porridge watery when you are introducing this porridge to your baby.
- Offer this porridge plain when you start. Try to avoid jaggery/ palm sugar/ palm jaggery or any kind of sweetener at least till one year, Add very little amount than mentioned or prefer sweet tasting fruits/vegetables like apple, banana, carrot etc or dry fruits like dates or raisins.