Broccoli is a wonderful vegetable contains high amount of vitamin C and loads of fiber. Fiber rich foods are known to cure constipation in babies. Broccoli should be introduced in babies diet at the age of 8-10 months as it may cause gas & difficult to digest for young infants. The same applies to potato as well.
- Broccoli - 10 florets
- Potato - 1 small sized
- Water - as needed
- Sterilise the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Wash broccoli and potato in running water well. Take the florets from broccoli and keep it immersed in hot water for 5 minutes in order to remove the worms if any. In the meantime peel the skin off from the potato with a peeler. Then chop them into equal size small cubes. Steam the broccoli florets & potato pieces in a steamer for 15 minutes. You can steam it with Idli steamer plate by adding a cup of water or pressure cook it with a cup of water for 2 whistles. For both steaming and blending i use
- Philips Avent Combined Steamer and Blender
- Once the broccoli & potato are steamed, it will be soft and transparent. Now blend it with little water to a smooth paste in a blender.
- Broccoli & potato should be included in babies diet only after 8 months as they might cause gas in babies.
- When selecting potatoes, choose the ones with less brown or soft spots.
- You can replace potatoes with sweet potatoes & broccoli with cauliflower to make this puree.
- You can mash it with fork instead of blending the broccoli and potato.
- Generally broccoli / potato doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Steaming is a healthy option for baby food than pressure cooking. So I prefer steaming using a Idli pot or steamer.