Banana in jaggery sauce – easy and healthy dessert made with long variety Kerala Nendran bananas, jaggery and ghee for toddlers and kids. This recipe may sound simple for a post but still I want to keep a record of my childhoods favorite recipe in the blog.
Kerala banana or Nendran banana is a nutritious banana variety which helps toddlers and kids in healthy weight gain. Though I would suggest to have steamed Kerala bananas as such, this banana recipe in jaggery sauce sure a treat once in a while and helps fussy eaters to have this healthy banana. This banana in jaggery sauce can be given to babies after one year as a quick dessert. Now Let’s check how to make this banana in jaggery sauce recipe for toddlers and kids.
- Nendran Banana/ Kerala Banana or any long sized banana - 1
- Jaggery - 2 tbsp
- Homemade Ghee - 2 tsp
- Water - ½ cup
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Peel and slice bananas.
- In a sauce pan, take sliced bananas and add water. Cook it until soft. It may take 5 minutes. Cooking banana is optional if you are using a banana variety other than Kerala banana. Then add jaggery powder to it.
- Let the jaggery melt and boil it until the jaggery sauce is slightly thick. Then add ghee and cook it further for 2 more minutes. Switch off the flames once done.
- You can also steam cook the Kerala banana and use. Cooking Kerala banana ensure easier digestion and hence it’s recommended.
- If using Kerala Nendran banana for small babies, make sure to remove the center black seeds part for easier digestion.
- You can use any long variety banana to make this recipe. But Kerala banana gives a nice flavor.
- Adjust jaggery according to the sweetness of banana.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.