Carrot Porridge – healthy sweet porridge recipe made with carrots, dates and raisins. Carrot is the favorite vegetable for most of the babies, if babies are bored of simple carrot puree, you could try this carrot porridge. It can be made quickly and tastes good as well. This healthy carrot porridge recipe can be given to babies from 7 months. This porridge has natural sweet taste from carrots and dry fruits, hence doesn’t require any additional sweetener.
Here is how to make easy carrot porridge recipe for babies and toddlers.
- Carrots - 1 medium sized or 2 small sized
- Powdered Jaggery or jaggery syrup - 1 tsp(optional)
- Cardamom powder - a pinch
- Raisins- 1 tbsp
- Dates - 3
- Water - as required
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Boiled Cows Milk/Formula Milk/Breast Milk -1/4 cup
- Wash and soak the dates raisins and dates together in water for 15 minutes. Squeeze the water completely from it once it's soft. Wash carrots in running water well. Peel the skin off from the carrot with a peeler. Then chop them into equal size small cubes.
- Steam the carrots in a steamer or pressure cook the carrots. I have used my Philips Avent Steamer and Blender for steaming.
- Once the carrots are steamed, Blend it along with soaked raisins and dates until the desired consistency is reached. Add boiled water if needed while blending.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Then transfer the carrot puree to a sauce pan with cardamom powder and jaggery(if using).Mix well. Then add boiled cows milk and cook it further for 2 more minutes. Switch off the flame once done.
- For babies below one year add formula milk or breast milk once the porridge is warm. Feed your baby.
- If the porridge becomes too thick, add boiled water/formula or breast-milk to adjust the consistency while feeding.
- Skip jaggery for babies below one year as the sweetness from dry fruits are sufficient at this stage
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
- Make sure to introduce everything separate to your baby before you try this carrot porridge .