By 10 months, your baby may have few teeth, swallows food more easily and started sitting confidently. Hence 10 months is the best time to introduce most of the family foods in the form of minced or chopped (with few exceptions which includes salt, sugar, honey and cow’s milk). Don’t force the baby though, as each baby is unique and adopt eating habits at their own pace. Just keep trying at your best to encourage his eating habits. Also continue offering finger foods and spices in baby food as same as 9 months.
Always remember that solids food can’t replace the nutrients breastmilk or formula provides during the first year. So consider including solids in your baby’s diet as a complementary feeding. Please read on 9 months baby food chart (to cross check the foods you have introduced till 9 months) before you plan a food chart for your 10 months baby. And always consider preferring homemade foods for your baby, which is safe.
At 10 months, you can introduce the below foods in addition to the 9 months baby food chart.
Spices: as same as 9 months
Spices: Turmeric, garlic, ginger, asafoetida, cumin seeds, pepper, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, caroms, fenugreek, mustard seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom (all can be added in little amount say a pinch)
For 10 months baby, you can offer three meals and a optional snack that can be finger food or any light snack for a day. Rest should be breastfeeding or formula feeding. Choose the timings for meal and snack according to your baby’s preference.
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cereal
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vegetables
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of fruits
- 2 to 3 tbsp of dairy
- 4 tbsp of meat/protein
Moong dal khichdi/
Raw Apple/pear or muskmelon or papaya/chikku or banana Or any other fruit (FF)
Cooked carrot or peas pieces Or Potato Salad or any cooked cut vegetables
Vegetables dosa /
vegetables suji upma/Dalia upma
Mixed vegetables rice or egg rice Or paneer pulao or urad dal khichdi
Milkshake/or any fruit milkshake made with breastmilk or formula
Spinach rice/ mashed ghee rice with egg yolk
Poha upma or moong dal chilla
dal khichdi Made with toor dal and vegetables
Crumbled Paneer (FF) or boiled egg yolk or scrambled eggs
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Some of the recipes given above prepared with more spices as it’s a family recipe. Adjust the spices according to your baby’s preference.
- Never introduce more than 1 food at a time when introducing solids to your baby.
- Salt , sugar, cow’s milk and honey is not recommended in baby’s food until 1 years of age.
- Check for allergy symptoms when you introducing a new food to your baby and stop feeding your if you find any symptoms.
- This food chart is prepared to give an idea on what foods can be included in babies diet at particular month. It should not be considered as a medical advice.
- Feed your baby with breastmilk or formula milk on demand other than the timings mentioned in the chart.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Steaming is a healthy option for baby food than pressure cooking. So I prefer steaming using a Idli pot or steamer.